Vegan Mozzarella Sticks
20 minutes + 1 hour chilling time
12 ounces vegan mozzarella (block)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon Bragg roasted garlic nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Vegetable oil, for frying
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Marinara sauce, for serving
In this recipe:
- Slice the mozzarella into twelve 1 ounce sticks and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flour to a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together the almond milk and cornstarch until combined and no lumps remain. In a third shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, Roasted Garlic nutritional yeast and salt. Stir to combine.
- Coat a cheese stick on all sides with the flour, then dip in the almond milk mixture. Lastly, add to the bowl with the breadcrumbs and pat to coat the mixture on all sides of the cheese stick. Place on the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cheese sticks and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Fill a deep skillet with about an inch of vegetable oil. Heat to 350 degrees F, then place the cheese sticks in the oil and fry for about 2 minutes per side, flipping once, until golden brown.
- Remove from the skillet and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle lightly with salt and parsley. Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce for dipping.