Vegan Green Bean Casserole
1 ½ pounds green beans, ends trimmed
1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon salt, divided
2 tablespoons vegan butter
½ medium sweet onion, minced
2 cups cremini or button mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 ½ cups plain unsweetened almond milk, divided
1 tablespoon Bragg Nutritional Yeast
2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid aminos
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup crispy fried onions
In this recipe:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart baking dish with oil or vegan butter.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and green beans. Boil for 3 minutes. Drain the green beans and place them in the bowl of ice water to cool. Once cooled, drain and cut into 2-inch pieces. Transfer the green beans to the prepared baking dish.
- Heat the vegan butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour to a small bowl; whisk in ¼ cup of the almond milk to create a slurry.
- Pour the remaining 1 ¾ cups almond milk into the skillet. Stir in the slurry, nutritional yeast, liquid aminos, ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the green beans in the casserole dish and stir gently to combine. Top with the fried onions. Cover and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Allow the casserole to cool for 15 minutes before serving.